Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"How Can a Good God Let Bad Things Happen?"

I had the chance to read and review a book written by Mark Tabb titled How Can a Good God Let Bad Things Happen? I thought this book was fitting for this time in my life and was glad that I requested this book from NavPress.

Mr. Tabb uses the book of Job to help the reader understand that bad things, terrible circumstances in our lives aren't from God and we need to continue to praise Him even if we think we will never get through it. Through Mark Tabb's book I saw that what I see as trials in my life aren't as bad as they could be. I still have a house, two vehicles, a husband, my three children are alive and healthy, even if our house isn't big enough, our van is constantly breaking down, our house needs a lot of repairs - our circumstances could be much, much worse.

Reading this book helped me understand God a little more. The evil in the world is the result of the first sin, and Satan is alive and well in this world. While I never doubt and I do my best to never blame God for the bad things in my life - I am not sure how I would react if my children were to die, we were to lose our house, etc. Could I continue giving God praise? I would like to think so. Would I want to hear empty words from friends and family? Definitely not. I heard the empty platitudes when we lost our first baby, "oh it's God's way of taking care of it now" and so on. This isn't what grieving and hurting people need to hear. Mark Tabb does a great job of getting this point across without belittling anyone or hurting anyone's feelings. He does it with grace and maturity and in the end, his book is well written and gives sound Scriptural basis for his findings.

The only thing I could find wrong in the book, and it could just be personal preference, is that when Mr. Tabb refered to God or Christ as "him" it was a lower case 'h'. I was always told that it's a sign of respect to use a capital 'H' when refering to the Lord. Like I said it could just be a personal preference, but even with that pet peeve of mine the book was very enjoyable.

Please visit NavPress to see their other books and even place an order.

God bless

1 comment:

Ausjenny said...

sounds like a good book Sarah