Wednesday, February 03, 2010

C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters" dramatization


I have never read C.S. Lewis' book "The Screwtape Letters" (insert gasp) so when I had the chance to receive the dramatization of the book on audio CD I jumped at it. The set comes on 4 CDs with a bonus DVD in 5.1 surround and a beautiful collector's case with slip jacket. This is Focus on the Family's radio theatre version, so as anyone who is familiar with Focus, this is a quality product.

The dramatization is performed by many world class actors and actresses such as, Andy Serkis (Gollum in Lord of the Rings), Geoffrey Palmer (Tomorrow Never Dies), Laura Michelle Kelly (Sweeney Todd) and Eileen Page (The Secret Garden). The vocalization in this drama is incredible and it feels as if one is actually hearing the letters being read by the demons about their "patients". I will say my children found some aspects of it scary and hard to follow - it isn't as easy to keep the voices and characters separate as you would if reading a book or watching a movie. The sound effects are also done so well that I could feel myself actually sitting in the places where the "patients" were - background voices, doors opening and closing and so on.

In the DVD you'll get behind the scenes glimpses at the making of the dramatization, an interview with Andy Serkis who does the voice of Screwtape (AKA senior demon) and other aspects of C.S. Lewis and the making of the incredible recording of "The Screwtape Letters". A well done DVD that can be played in both regular DVD player or in your computer to make it easier to view. The set is available through Tyndale for $39.99.

**I was provided a copy of this product by Tyndale Publishers in exchange for my review.

No comments: