Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The Silent Gift by Michael Landon, Jr. and Cindy Kelley


From the Bethany House Publisher website:


The decade of the 'thirties was a time of enormous uncertainty--for the world, for America, and in particular for one lonely, struggling mother and her disabled son. Their story is one of unyielding love and incredible sacrifices in the face of circumstances beyond belief.


But then The Gift appears•where has it come from, and why? How can a young boy who cannot communicate provide comfort and direction to seekers who learn of the special ability? Whatever the source, its presence brings a single shaft of light and hope to Mary and her beloved son, Jack•. Will it be enough?


My Opinion:
I'm a fan of the Love Comes Softly series directed and created by Michael Landon, Jr. and so when I saw that he has authored a new book (he's written one other that I haven't read) I wanted to read it for myself and find out if it was a great book. I was so happy! This book was not only good it was GREAT!!! I couldn't put it down, I read it in two days with little to no breaks.


From the first page I was drawn into Mary's life both as a mom and wife - well until she has to flee a cheating and hateful husband - then I was drawn into her life as a mom. I could feel the fear and the freedom once mom and son fled because of fear for their lives. I could feel the agony as she lost her money, tried to find a place to sleep and the relief as she found a job with room and board. Her son has a gift and it must be used wisely and Mary comes to realize this as she ends up losing what she values the most. This book is a wonderful read that will pull you in and take you to what the world was in the 30's.

**Thank you to Bethany House for providing a copy of this book in exchange for my review.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

It's me again. I left a comment on your other blog.
I found you at THL in response to Zinnada's blog question.
I also have a review blog. In fact, I also reviewed this book.