Monday, August 10, 2009

King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust Modern Translations? by James R. White


The King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust Modern Translations? by James R. White goes into detail about the different translations of the Bible and the historical facts behind the King James Only and the modern translations such as NASB, NIV and ESV. This book is answering those who believe that using the KJV is the only Bible to use and any other person who uses another translation is heretical.

James R. White is the author of several other books including The God Who Justifies and The Forgotten Trinity. He is the director of Alpha and Omega Ministries, a Christian apologetics organization, he is an accomplished debater and elder of the Phoenix Reformed Baptist Church.

As a person who enjoys her KJV Bible, I know that my way isn't the only way - Christ is, so that is why I choose to receive this book from Bethany House Publishers through their blogger review program. This was a very heavy read, one that took some time to digest as one reads it's pages. Full of historical documents and history of the Bible from the beginning of it's being found one must read through the book keeping in mind the different texts that eventually made up the Bible that we know today, whether it's the NIV, KJV or any other translation. It was hard for me to keep track of which texts were which as I continued to read, which slowed my reading down considerably.

I thought this book has a lot of merit though and the reader can tell hours of research went into writing this book, which adds credibility to the work. Mr. White goes through a lot of trouble to explain how the different translations were written along with the history behind each. He also gives side by side examples of the Scripture of both the KJV and another version. That made it easy to see what the differences were that Mr. White was explaining in each chapter. I do recommend this book for those who are KJV only proponents, pastors of churches or just the regular lay person who wants to know more about the historical and Scriptural background of our Holy Bible.

1 comment:

The Crazy Mom said...

I think I'm glad I passed on this one! Not that it wouldn't be interesting, but I've read the KJV only stuff a bit and just wasn't convinced and it's really not a hot topic for me. Now, if I were a pastor or someone who for whatever reason found themselves on one side of the other of the King James "controversy" I would want to read it. Just didn't feel for me it was worth the heavy reading! I'm a LAZY girl this summer and am sticking to fun stuff like fiction and kids' books! Well, and What He Must Be which is actually rather heady stuff now that I think of it. :)