Sunday, August 02, 2009

Words Unspoken by Elizabeth Musser

Words Unspoken by Elizabeth Musser didn't appear to be much of a book when I first started it but I was pleasantly surprised. Bethany House has again published another great book by another accomplished author. Having never read Mrs. Musser's books before I know I will be returning for more of her books when I get a chance.

We begin being introduced to Lissa Randall who has had a lot of tragedy in her life, while she excelled in academics a tragic accident that took her mother's life sets her back. She needs to drive again but even after eighteen months she finds she can't do it until she gets referred to Ev Mcallister's driving school. The story is set in Tennessee amongst Lookout Mountain with a full cast of characters.

At first the full range of characters scared me, I am not one who likes a lot of characters in the books I read. So I was worried I would forget who was who when I really got involved in the story and have to begin flipping back and forth to remember who they were. Fortunately, Elizabeth Musser made it easy to remember what each character's role was in the book - no forgetting or flipping back and forth. All the characters well well rounded and well developed, something I appreciate, I don't care for flat, undeveloped characters. Mrs. Musser did a wonderful job in really making the characters have life and making the reader feel like they know them.

The book moves well and there are a few surprises along the way, which are weaved into the story at appropriate times. A story of forgiveness and love even while the character may not feel loved or forgiven. There is talk of suicide so if that is a sensitive subject for a reader I would want to warn you about that, but even if it is a subject that is near to your heart (I know it is too mine) it is a wonderful book. It almost felt as if Elizabeth Musser knows me, knows my heart, especially towards the end of the book. This is simply a great book with a lot of potential and I recommend you curl up with it and savor it until the end.

No comments: