Friday, May 15, 2009

The American Patriot's Bible NKJV



The American Patriot's Bible is a wonderful, hard back New King James Version of the Bible. This Bible is "The Word of God and the Shaping of America". Thomas Nelson has put out a Bible that is great reading neither taking away or adding to Scripture.

In the front of the Bible are beautiful, full color pages for a marriage record between a man and wife, areas for the husband's family and the wife's family, children, grandchildren, church records, family history, ancestor's of interest, map of the United States of America, the fifty states and dates when they became a state, military and public service and deaths of family members.

Also in the front are The Seven Principles of the Judeo-Christian Ethic:
  • Principle 1: The Dignity of Human Life (all human life not just the born but the pre-born and elderly, everyone)
  • Principle 2: The Traditional Monogamous Family
  • Principle 3: A National Work Ethic
  • Principle 4: The Right to a God-Centered Education
  • Principle 5: The Abrahamic Covenant
  • Principle 6: Common Decency
  • Principle 7: Our Personal Accountability to God

This Bible is NOT saying that Jesus is only for Americans. This Bible is NOT saying that God's Word is only for Americans. In fact this Bible states that the Bible is for everyone who will receive it. What makes this Bible nice is that it includes American HIStory within His Word to drive home facts. While some things I did learn in my mediocre public school education - there were gaping holes when it came to things like why the Pilgrims really came to America or the fact that our founding fathers were in fact Christians although there were some deists as well. This could very well be written for the British, Africans, Indians, any nationality that wants to incorporate their nations history with God's written Word.

I will say I don't think that every Christian is called to vote. While this Bible has a full page of quotes on why American Christians should vote there also seems to be an unwritten understanding that Christians who don't vote aren't doing their duty to God and country. I beg to disagree. While I do vote, I haven't been convicted by God to not vote, but if I ever do it wouldn't be the end of the world. Not voting doesn't mean you don't care about your country, those who don't vote can do other things to direct how laws are made without getting involved in politics - like praying.

The other aspect of this Bible is the picture of Obama in it. He is quoted saying how change has come to America. I don't believe a picture of our current President belongs in a Bible although I know the editor and publisher were making a point about equality for the races, but I think it could have been done in a better way. I must add as well, I don't think that God is behind wars. men start wars and then seek God's guidance, rarely have I seen or heard of a war started with a man first seeking God's will. I mean no disrespect to anyone in the Armed Forces (I myself am a Navy veteran) and while God can be with those serving I hesitate to say that He supports the act of war.

Overall, The American Patriot's Bible, is a great Bible for those desiring to add a little more history to the readings of Scripture. You can view a YouTube video about this new Bible published by Thomas Nelson. I would say give it a chance and take a look at it, you may be genuinely surprised.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Hi Sarah,
My ds14 has been looking at this Bible in a local bookstore and is very interested in it. I appreciate your thoughtful review of this product. At some point my son will probably need to get this Bible as he will soon be studying American History, and I believe the information presented about our founding fathers in this Bible will be helpful to him. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Blessings,
Missy
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/smokeybutter

Margaret @ Creative Madness Mama said...

I just got a copy of this Bible today. It's interesting to read some of the reviews, most people have more negative things to say than positive. But as a genealogist with most of my heritage local to the United States since the 1500s I think this will be a neat experience.

- Margaret
http://www.creativemadnessmama.com